Further details can be found in our 关键阶段3 课程 Information booklet at the bottom of this page. Additional information is available from our Assistant Head Teacher in charge of curriculum, 班纳特夫人, : hjb@stbernards.绍森德.原理图.uk.
St Bernard’s 高 学校 has a three-year 关键阶段3 curriculum that meets the needs of all learners. It provides challenging and creative learning in the 原理图ool, in the outdoor environment and in the local community and beyond. As well as providing a secure foundation for achievement in 关键阶段4, our curriculum equips learners with the skills that they will need to succeed in education, 生活和工作. The main principles of our curriculum are outlined below:-
- The curriculum has the following characteristics: breadth, 平衡, 相关性, 分化, progression and continuity coherence.
- The curriculum promotes knowledge and understanding; mastery of intellectual, physical and interpersonal skills and personal qualities, values and attitudes.
- Equality of access for all students.
- The 原理图ool provides appropriate tasks and teaching techniques to support high expectations and appropriate challenges.
- Parents are provided with curriculum information relevant to their child.
- The curriculum is subject to planned evaluation and review by senior staff, and the governors’ Teaching & Learning Committee.
- Provision is made within the 原理图ool for all students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- The curriculum includes strong representation from the arts, languages and 技术 areas of the curriculum, in order to develop all aspects of students’ skills, knowledge and understanding. Students study: Religious Education, 英语, 数学, 科学, 技术, 一门外语, 地理位置, 历史, PE, 艺术, 音乐, 跳舞, 和戏剧.
A full tutorial programme is offered which focuses on the needs of young adults as they they progress in their education, and helps them to develop the skills and knowledge they need to understand and participate in their local community Students have regular tutorial time each week covering PSHE topics, as well as preparation for the next stages in their learning journey.
As a Catholic 原理图ool St Bernard’s wishes to assist young people in their journey of faith. We share with all our students the Catholic vision of life through a structured programme of Religious Education. The aim is to help students know and understand this tradition in a clear and more comprehensive way. The Religious Education Programmes of Study supports and helps strengthen the ethos of the 原理图ool, and the partnership between family, 教区和学校.
Many extracurricular activities are available: approximately 90 students undertake the Bronze 爱丁堡公爵 award; some students undertake the 艺术s Leader award; clubs in 艺术, 跳舞, 戏剧, 音乐, Photography are available, as well as sports teams and revision classes. The library and computer rooms are available at lunchtimes, with study facilities also available before and after the 原理图ool day.